Monday, November 12, 2007

Most Popular Movie Quotes

So I came across this article the other day on the most quotable movies. Note that this survey was taken in Britain, so that's probably why you don't see as many Caddyshack lines in there. The fact that "I'll be back" is the most commonly used line is just a sad, sad commentary on British life. Although, I'm not sure how much better it would be in the States.

Missing notable lines, or some of my favorites, would be from Star Wars, although not the line "May the force be with you." Where would you use that? Anyway, my favorite ones to quote, although not really used appropriately, would be, "I suggest a new strategy - let the Wookiee win." And the whole conversation between Luke and the galaxy toughs at the cantina (paraphrased):

Dr Evazan doesn't like you, either"He doesn't like you. I don't like you either."

"Sorry, I'll try to be more careful."

"You'll be DEAD!"

In the article, Forrest Gump gets credited for the "box of chocolates" line, but the "From that day on, I WUZ RUN-NING!" line is my favorite.

My other favorite line to use from a movie is from Dances with Wolves, where Stands With A Fist tells Costner's character that Kicking Bird is a "Ho-ho-holy man." Every time I see a member of clergy in public, I turn to my wife and say that line.

Billy Madison also gets a lot of time with me when I'm washing my kids' hair. "Shampoo is better than conditioner! I go on first and get the hair clean." I'll spare you the rest of this sequence, which ends with "Quit looking at me, Swan!"

The other thing that baffles me about this article is the fact that most men would, given the choice, have been a character from either a James Bond flick, Star Wars or The Lord of the Rings. Ladies? They would have chosen to be Francis from Dirty Dancing, Julia Robert's character from Pretty Woman, or Scarlet O'Hara from Gone With The Wind. I haven't seen the latter, but I'm pretty sure it's about a southern woman not getting her way. Baby, from DD is pretty noble, in that she tries to do the right thing, (favorite quote from DD, other than the baby in the corner line, which was used as a chorus in a Total Passover song: "He had a folding table and a dirty knife!") but I just don't get where women would want to be a hooker that relies on a rich man to take them away from such an awful life? What happened to women's liberation?

My only other favorite movie line: "It puts the lotion in the basket" from Silence of the Lambs.

Leave your favorite movie lines in the comments section.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger TK said...

Is it getting hot in here, or is it just me? - Big Trouble in Little China

I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fuckin' bastard. - From Dusk Til Dawn

I'm gonna go have a smoke right now. You want a smoke? You don't smoke, do ya, right? What are ya, one of those fitness freaks, huh? Go fuck yourself. - The Departed

If God did not want them shorn, he would not have made them sheep - The Magnificent Seven

Just a few off the top of my head.

1:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home