Monday, April 16, 2007

Moving the LPs to the Computer

I set up my amp and record player up in the basement. Set up the old computer, too. Went through, removed the programs I no longer needed and defragged the hard drive. Got a copy of Audacity (freeware) and set everything up. I even had some success recording my first LP song to digital. Only problem is, I think I'm only getting the left channel through the mic input on my sound card.
In the picture, you see the white cord coming out of the sound card. This cord goes to the computer speakers, as there are no speakers hooked to the amp. The black cord comes from my headphone output on my amp, as I have no other means for a line out on the amp. Both jacks on the cord have two lines, which means it should be in stereo. Only the left channel shows up on the red bar in the Audacity software, though, and listening to the Descendent's "Coolidge," I can tell the right channel ain't there.

So I'm wondering if there is some way to utilize that 15-pin input (the polygon shaped yellow thing on the left) of the sound card. Surely, if I had some kind of quarter or eighth-inch output from the headphone jack, and an adapter, it would work, right?

Any help anyone could give me on this would be GREATLY appreciated. If this doesn't work, then maybe we could all chip in (about 5 or 6 of us) and get one of them ION TT-USB things, which is a turntable that hooks into a USB port on your computer. Only, I don't want to end up with the thing after I'm done. Why aren't there used ones out there? Isn't the idea to load up all the vinyl and then sell it?

4 Comments:

Blogger Bella said...

The idea is to just let the vinyl go and don't waste your time.

That's why there aren't many out there.

People are more into quality these days.

8:34 AM

 
Blogger Jez said...

Oh, I'm going to get rid of it as soon as I digitize the stuff. But I can't find some of this stuff on CD, like a lot of the punk rock 7" records and albums that were released on vinyl only.

9:43 AM

 
Blogger Bella said...

Next you'll be wanting to do all the 8 tracks you have that were released on 8 track only...

(does that make sense? "8 track only"?)

11:00 PM

 
Blogger Inhuman Eating Machine said...

I sold off about 2/3 of my vinyl in the late 90's/early 2000's and replaced it with CD's. I totally regret it. All those CD's mock me now. They look terrible and they're practically dead as a music medium (at least pre-recorded CD's.)

As the music download gets more and more popular, folks will no longer have any need for a physical representation of an "album". Music will all be on people's hard drives. Mainstream acts will stop bothering with "albums" because the bulk of the audience only wants "songs" and "hits" anyway. The concept of sequencing songs to make one whole work will become nearly extinct in the mainstream. This will make the concept of the album and the album's physical representation turn into a strictly niche market for "music geeks." That will only increase vinyl's popularity, which is already happening in England, where vinyl is now outselling CD's.

8:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home